Saturday, October 20th, 2012
BRUFF’S parking lot
10 AM – 2 PM
Entry Fee is $100
Competitors receive two (2) 20 oz. BRUFF’S Ribeye Steaks
to cook for the competition.
2012 KVOE & Bruffs Steak Challenge Rules
Bruff’s Steakhouse / Bar & Grill
Saturday, October 20, 2012
10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Steak Cooking Rules
Set up may begin at 10:00 AM day of event
(Saturday, October 20, 2012) and must be completed by 11:00 AM. Cook teams will be set up in the northwest
corner of Bruff’s parking,
2. Cook Teams should have a list of all participants, including the Chief Cook.
3. Bruff’s will provide two 20 oz. select cuts of rib eye steaks. Steaks will be delivered to teams at 11:00 AM day of the event. Teams are responsible for ice & ice chests for steak storage.
4. All steaks are to be handled in a sanitary manner. Plastic gloves will be provided and are to be used in handling the steaks at all times.
5. Cook teams will provide all seasonings and “secret ingredients”. Teams may use any type of fuel desired. They Cook Teams must provide their own charcoal, wood or gas.
6. Cook teams are responsible for providing tables and chairs they might need at their cooking area. Teams are welcome to set up tents for shade.
7. Some type of extinguishing device should be readily available to each cooker.
8. Teams are allotted two 20 oz. rib-eye steaks to prepare for judging (only one will need to be turned in) the other steak maybe used as they wish. The steaks will be collected by 1:00 PM. Any other items a team wants to cook or prepare for guests for sampling would be welcomed.
Steak Judging Rules
1. Steaks will be judged on looks, appearance, and degree of doneness (medium) tenderness and taste.
2. No branding irons or other identifying marks are to be used on the steaks submitted for judging. Your entry will be automatically disqualified if presented for judging with any identifying marks.
3. When the steaks are distributed, you will receive an official box to be used in submitting your steak to the judges. There will be 2 sealed envelopes attached to the box in which there is a number. Remove one envelope from the box. This envelope is to stay sealed until the awards presentation. Bring your sealed envelope to the awards presentation. The Chief Cook will be told when to open the envelope. Opening the envelope prior to this WILL result in disqualification of the cooking team. This is to insure anonymity of all steaks submitted for judging.
4. Between 12:45 and 1:00 PM, a steak for judging is to be selected, placed in the official box and collected by representative and taken to the judge’s table. All entries are to be received by 1:00 PM.
5. All steaks submitted for judging are to be cook medium. For this contest medium is interpreted as pink and moist in the center, not red and running. So remember that degree of doneness is one of the very important criteria in the steak judging.
6. There will be a panel of judges. The judges will not know the identity of the cook teams. The steaks will be scored by number and the identifying number of the cooking teams will not be known until the awards ceremony, sometime after 1:30 PM.
10:00 – 11:00 AM – Cook teams will register and pay a $100.00 registration fee, and set up grills, ice chests, tables & chairs.
11:00 – 1:00 PM -Teams will receive 2 steaks. They will prepare their steaks for judging, and have the steaks ready to be turned in at the judging table in their official box by 1:00 PM.
1:00 – 2:00 PM - Judges will judge all of the entries, and announce their decision. Top three winners will receive a plaque.