2nd Annual KVOE “What’s in Outdoors”
Outdoor Trivia Contest…Just in time for Christmas!
Please answer the questions below. Then submit your answers, along with a “I remember or Do you remember when we did” story to email@example.com
We will have a drawing for weekly winners on Friday’s show December 7th, 14th and 21st.
Three grand prize outdoor adventures will also be awarded.
To complete the contest you will also need to submit a story sharing your most memorable outdoor experience: Fishing, hiking, hunting, exploring, bird watching, gardening etc. Pictures are a plus but not a requirement to win.
· Grand Prize (Adult Category, 18 or over) - Half day tube Fly Fishing Excursion from Bill Hartman www.flyfishkansas.com
Grand Prize (Youth Category) - a day at
· Grand Prize (Family Story Category) - a canoe rental on an educational float trip with the Friends of the Kaw. (accommodates 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 or 1 child over 10)
Families can work together to write the story and help the younger people with the quiz. The contest will have three major award packages:
· Adult, 18 and older,
· Youth, 17 and younger.
If you are struggling writing your story, please feel free to contact Phil Taunton at 620-342-5016 or firstname.lastname@example.org and he will help you write it.
1. Friends of
the Kaw is an organization whose mission is to protect
and preserve the
2. What two rivers or creeks run together to
a) The Republican River and the
b) The Cottonwood and the
c) The Big Blue and the Little
d) Lyon and Clarks Creek near
3. Who should we thank for bringing white-tailed deer, pronghorns and wild turkey back from low populations?
a) Federal government
c) Hunters and conservationist, both men and women working together.
4. ____?_____ were once
the most important animal on the
a) Western rattlesnakes
b) Western meadowlarks
d) American Bison
____?_______ are filter feeders and are found
a) Box turtles
c) Water bugs
6. This bird is found in Western Kansas preferring wide-open grasslands and nests underground, usually in prairie dog colonies.
a) Burrowing owl
b) Lesser prairie-chicken
c) Black rail
d) Horned Gopher Owl
7. The Kansas River officially starts at
8. Which statement best defines wildlife management?
a) The wide use and manipulation of renewable wildlife resources.
b) Understanding wildlife and its relationship to the habitat it lives in.
c) Manipulations of habitats or populations that are done to meet some specified human goal.
d) It is both an art and a science.
e) All of the above
9. Lesser prairie-chickens prefer which of the following for nesting cover:
a) Eastern Red Cedar
b) Little Bluestem
c) Smooth Brome Grass
10. Which factor is most critical to the overall welfare of any wildlife population?
a) The quality and quantity of habitat.
b) The weather.
c) The species ability to reproduce.
d) All of the above.
e) a & b
11. An endangered species is one that:
a) is extinct.
b) is on the verge of becoming extinct.
c) is likely to become endangered.
d) none of the above.
12. Which of the
species below are listed as Endangered in
a) Greater and lesser Prairie-Chicken
b) Swift Fox
c) Whooping Crane
d) Black-tailed Prairie Dog
e) None of the above
13. What is another name for Mountain Lion?
d) All the above
14. What animal
is NOT found native to
c) Mule Deer
d) Black Bear
15. What do responsible archers use when hunting from trees?
a) Tree stand made of scrap lumber, bow and arrows
b) Tree house, and deer rifle,
d) Commercial stands and fall arrest system certified and tested to tree stand Manufacturer’s Association TMA Standards
The Kansas Children's Outdoor Bill of Rights says every child should have the opportunity to:
a) Explore Nature
b) Follow a trail
c) Camp under the stars
d) All of the above
Please submit your STORY and answers to the above questions along with your name, address, & phone number to email@example.com
If you don’t have email, you can mail your story and answers to:
KVOE Outdoors Trivia