Every Friday morning at 8:15, Phil Taunton will join the KVOE Morning show and let listeners know What’s In Outdoors.
Below you can listen to past shows and find information relating to all kinds of stuff. ENJOY!
PICTURES, STORIES, RECIPES, COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, AND/OR IDEAS FOR FUTURE SHOWS?
Email us – email@example.com
May 18th OK Kids Day, Eisenhower Park, Melvern Lake - Youth fishing derby and more - Flyer
Contact Nikki Banzhaf 785-528-4102 for further updates and activities.
June 1 - Youth Archery Day,
June 2-7 – KWF Outdoor Adventure Camp - Brochure
June 6-8 – Girl Scout S'mores Camp – Registration Deadline June 1st
June 8 – Youth in the Outdoors Day at Ravenwood –
Kids are free. Parent or guardian must be present for all activities.
Go to www.justincorbetfoundtion.com to see who are recipients of past grants.
Over $100,000.00 IF you have any question just give me a call 800-656-2454
June 15 - Symphony in the Flinthills is June 15th 1-620-273-8955 firstname.lastname@example.org
June 15th shotgun shooting activity and instruction…..
To register or for more information, contact email@example.com
Come join the fun on June 15, 2013 and enjoy a few hours of learning to shoot shotguns at
Michael Murphy & Sons,
Water and snacks will be provided and this is a free event open to everyone.
We will start out with a safety briefing and we may even have a couple of other activities there.
Sept. 6 & 7 – Bluestem 11th Annual Wildlife Appreciation & Conservation Days
Sept 7 – Whitetail Weekend in
On this Week’s Show
· June 6-8 – Girl Scout S'mores Camp – Registration Deadline June 1st
Picture #1: Two Mossy Oak Pro-staff members instruct a youth with a single shot shotgun with trap shooting.
Picture #2: A young man uses a 20 gauge pump shotgun to shoot clay biodegradable targets.
Picture #3: Some people
may wonder what useful purpose could becoming a good shooter possibly have, for
this young lady, Megan Hilbish, a senior at Emporia High School, shooting has
earned her a full ride scholarship to Ohio State University! Her college
education will be paid for while participating on the
Pictures and text courtesy of Gib Rhodes
will be joined in the studio by retired military and certified
WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
greeting visitors to
Camp as viewed by Phil and a visitor on April 29th and similar to what the Flint Hills Gobblers of the National Wild Turkey Federation faced when setting up on March 29th for the Turkey Hunting Clinic.
The following pictures show what was complained about after the fact with broken clays and shot wad casings, not BB casings, being picked up by an ESU camp staff.
TJ Orender and Prairie Land Partners smoothed out the “offending” ruts. They were lucky to get the 100% safe BB gun range out of the area after it rained before the event.
These are shot shell casing that were picked up the day of the clinic by the Flint Hills Gobblers after the clinic and taken by a member that reloads shot shells to be used again.
What’s in Outdoors Phil
Taunton, 2002 KDWPT Kansas Hunter Education Instructor of the Year has been a
presenter at all 12 clinics and was one of 7 Kansas Hunter Safety Instructors
present giving one-on-one shotgun safety instruction at the 12th Annual NWTF
Spring Turkey Hunting Clinic on March 30th at
· The JAKES Take Aim portable BB gun range is one of the safest ranges there is.
Pulling this range out of the field was what left the offending ruts the Camp complained about.
Youth teaching youth the right way! Pass it on!
Kansas Hunter Education Instructor’s give one-on-one instruction to the youth at the 12th Annual NWTF Spring Turkey Hunting Clinic. Pictures #1 & #2: Kansas Hunter’s Education Instructor Scott Newton gives one-on-one assistance to youth doing shotgun shooting at still patterning targets during the clinic. In 12 years of Turkey Hunting Clinics, no youth has been injured during shooting at the clinic or during their spring turkey hunts!
All pictures and text are courtesy of Gib Rhodes
Last Week’s Show
We will be giving
away two twenty dollar gift certificates.
· Stories from the third grade class I gave a carrying capacity presentation to last Friday.
Cole Sly of Kaw River Outdoors 785-556-0886, Sly Hydro Graphics 785-456-5800
air boat adventure on the
· Taylor Bivins is a sophomore at KSU and is on the Kansas State Fishing team.
He is the grandson of Terry Bivins, Lebo. Everyone did a great job showing me their knowledge/passion for the outdoors and the Outdoors Writers of Kansas should be appreciative of them taking the time to make our conference so rewarding….
Picture Gallery – CLICK HERE
KIDS KORNER Pictures – Click Here
Kennel Korner – Click Here
Here for a special Photo Showcase of
the 2011 JAKES event at
View Outdoor related items that were featured on the show
Listen to past shows – CLICK HERE
· Monster Sweet Potato Recipe! Courtesy of Lanne Shayes
· Fish Salad Recipe….. Use as a dip with our favorite cracker or make a sandwich
· http://www.crappie.com Recipes and stories.
· Recipe courtesy of Dustin Teasley, KDWPT
Cold Pack Pickled Fish
1 quart fish (rib meat from carp, white bass or drum fillets)….makes around 3 pints.
2 medium yellow onions
3 C Kosher Salt
1 C Port Wine (White but red will work)
1 C Sugar
2 C or more of White Vinegar
2 C Water
2 Tbsp Pickling Spice
Cut meat into pieces no thicker than 1/2”. In a bowl place a layer of salt, then place a layer of fish, then cover that layer with salt. So on and so forth until you have used all the fish and then cover it with salt. Set in fridge 24 hours. Next rinse all salt off fish and place in container covering fish with white vinegar. Set in fridge 24 hours. In a sauce pan, mix 1 C port wine, 1 C sugar, 2 C vinegar, 2 C water, and 2 Tbsp pickling spice and bring to a boil and remove from heat. Clean onions and slice. Once the solution you boiled has cooled, strain out spices. In pint jars create layers of onion and fish until you reach the neck of the jar. Pour cooled solution in jar until all meat and onion is covered. Place ring and lid on jar and set in fridge 24 hours before eating.
· Interesting Hummingbird Facts – courtesy of Hummingbirds Forever
· A Deer Antler Whistle for a child - Video
· Worms in Fish – what to do to get rid of them
Waters – Wild-caught Bait Regulations Kansas
· 2012 Hunter Education – Flyer
Internet Assisted Class Field Day/Certification Course
· Range Safety Advice from the National Shooting Sport Foundation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvFyw-6Fqs&feature=plcp.
· Firearm Responsibility in the Home Pamphlet
· The Complete Guide to Kansas Fishing by Amy Bickel & Jason Probst
Weekly Updates -
· KDWPT Legislative Update – Click Here
Recap of the 1st
Annual Pheasants Forever National Bird Hunter’s United Field Trial for Habitat.
· Removing the Senior Exemption for Hunting & Fishing Licenses
· KDWPT news….Take the hunting and fishing license exemption and some camp ground exemptions away from us Senior Citizens. – Legislative Agenda
· RMEF Membership Record Release
· Kansas Waterfowl Weekly Update – Cheyenne Bottoms Update
· Congressman Kind’s blog on the HKOA
This plan is available for Public Review and Comment
· Bev and Megan Hilbish along with Dick Rees, chairman of the new Twin Rivers Junior Shooting Sports organization https://www.facebook.com/groups/trjss/ will join us on the show to discuss their goals and upcoming banquet. More information can be obtained during the Bluestem Farm and Ranch Conservation and Wildlife Appreciation Days this weekend
· Bow Hunting Story
· Nick Prough Interview – QUWF activites and Plight of Quail
· Interview with Isaac Cushenberry and Bryce Atchinson about events and Bryce does a really good turkey call
· Phil Taunton with some turkey callers from JAKES
· QDMA NEWSLETTERS- GRANT WOODS GROWING DEER.TV SITE…..A trapped Ozark bear and I reveal ticks in a typical fawning area... the tick population is shocking. Watch this episode to find out more. CAUTION: Video may be graphic for some people
PBS Documentary filmed in
· Kingdom Archers 3D Range - video