EFD: Wednesday fire a reminder to have furnaces checked

An Emporia woman and two children escaped unharmed after a small fire developed at 1025 Burns on Wednesday morning.

Emporia Fire Battalion Chief Steve Kuhlmann says homeowner Angela Price noticed a smoke smell and called firefighters shortly before 6 am.

Fire crews found the fire was restricted to the furnace in the basement. The electrical fire burned up the control panel and sent a smoke smell through the house.

Kuhlmann urges everybody to check their furnaces with autumn temperatures now here.

{wbty_audio audio_id="348" audio_title="Kuhlmann: Check your filters, check your wires"}

Kuhlmann says it's easy to spot issues with filters, but it's not nearly as easy to see if there may be problems developing with the furnace wiring. He also says the older the unit, the bigger the need to make sure the furnace is checked as soon as possible.

Pair of injury accidents logged

Emporia firefighters and police officers dealt with an injury accident Wednesday morning.

Police Lt. Jim Tilton says the first accident happened in the 900 block of South Commercial shortly before 9:45 am. The driver, Denise Wells of Madison, was northbound but had a rear tire blow out. Wells' car drifted off the street. She overcorrect, spun her car and hit a sign.

Wells was taken to Newman Regional Health for observation. The hospital does not release patient conditions to the media.

A second accident happened about 20 minutes later in the 2600 block of West U.S. Highway 50. Two vehicles were involved. Tilton says one person was treated at the scene and refused further treatment.

See what is happening with KVOE