Hometown Trivia is heard every Thursday at 7:25 am (during the Fall) on KVOE AM 1400
Questions and Answers:
Question 8: This ESU department has one of the oldest and longest
running programs in the State of
Answer: (Oldest) The Department of Communication and Theatre, a
unit of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
(Longest continuous running) The program, Summer Theatre.
_ 1913 the department was known as the Department of Public
Speaking and Expression, the head of this academic program was
Professor Franklin L Gilson. He organized the Gilson Players in
_ 1926 the department was reorganized and named Department of
_ 1955 the department inaugurated the first Summer Theatre
The information in this question and answer comes from the ESU
Theatre Handbook, which can be found online.
Question 7: Welch Stadium on ESU campus, when did it open and who
is it named in honor of?
Answer: Opened in 1937, the first football game was played on
Armistice Day, November 11, 1937.
Dedicated in 1960 to honor Francis George Welch, long-time coach and
athletic director. Welch lead the Hornet football program from 1928 to
42 and again from 1946 to 54, winning 115 games, making Welch the
longest winning coach in ESU football history.
Question 6: What
is the name of the
could carry on water research. He and his students used to bring in
stones and plants from field trips and arrange them along the stream.
Eventually a dirt dam was constructed and a lake appeared."
From The Bulletin, January 20, 1962
Named for Lyman Child
educational exhibit for the World's Fair in
became professor of biology in 1897, later professor of geology at KSN.
He lived in
Question 5: Are
there any buildings still standing from original
Answer: No, the first two campus buildings burned to the ground
October 26, 1878. Plumb Hall, erected 1916.
Question 4: The early days for Kansas State Normal School (ESU) were not
always easy, which of the following mishaps and/or disasters threatened to close
B. Appropriations for teachers training shut off by the legislature
C. Entire faculty dismissed with the exception of the President
D. A big land sale swindle and embezzlement
E. Tornado and torrential downpour
F. Drop in enrollment
Answer: All of the above.
A. 1874 Grasshoppers, the effect on the area, forced salaries down by as
much as eighteen percent.
B. March 1876, the legislature shut off all appropriations for teacher train in
C. June 1876, the entire faculty was dismissed except for President
D. 1877, Plans were made to sell the school's endowment lands, but an agent
with EP Bancroft had sold portions of the land, collecting payment for his
own use. Funds totaling $6000.
E. April 13, 1878 a tornado tore off two-thirds of the roof from the main
building and half the roof from the smaller building. Then the torrential
downpour that followed dumped ed water from roof to basement.
F. 1878, enrollment dropped to 90 Students
October 26, 1878,
burned to the ground.
Question 3: How
many different names has
what years did these changes occur?
Answer: 4 Names:
Question 2: The
20 - acre track of land secured for the
was part of an Indian Reserve, which tribe was it reserved for?
Answer: The Wyandotte Indian Reserve, commonly know as Floats, this
particular reserve was number 25. It was one mile square which would be from 6th
Indians did not live on the land it was simply reserved for them.
In 1863 the land was owned by Giles E Filley of
the Charter Oak cookstoves. Mr.
Filley gifted the land to the State of
the Normal School.
Information on the Wyandotte Reserve was provided by Land Surveyor
Steve Brosemer of GeoTech, Inc.
When was the school established? Where were the first classes held?
Answer: In Old Stone, on the second floor, at 7th and Constitution.
The following is a quote from the book "History
Tuesday Night at the Museum. Please join us October 09, 2011,
7 P, ."Howe- lo- ween", at the Richard Howe House,
come sit around the fire and tell historically scary stories, bring
flashlight, lawn chair and blanket.
"C. V. Eskridge, a representative in the Legislature of 1863,
introduced a bill in the House providing for the establishment of a
Senate by Perry B Maxson, and it became a law March 3, 1863. A
commission to select a site was appointed by Governor Carney, and a
20 - acre tract was secured. The school opened with eighteen
students, February 15, 1865, in the upper room of the newly erected
furniture, and the equipment consisted of a Bible and a dictionary.
Seats were borrowed from the Congregational Church. Lyman B
Kellogg, a young graduate of the Norma University of Illinois, was
the principal, and only teacher. From this small but significant
beginning has grown a magnificent institution, the
two in number, was graduated in 1867. these graduates were Mary
Jane Watson and Ellen Plumb."
shops. However, there was one pie shop on
popular with college students, in the 40's. What was the name of this Pie
Shop and where was it located? Share your favorite memory.
Answer: Wrightman's Pie Shop, located at
Question 7: During the Prohibition era a dozen or more of these local
businesses sold liquor. What type of business were they and how did
they get around the Prohibition Amendment?
Answer: Drug Stores. As a way of getting around the Prohibition
Amendment, under the pretense of keeping within the law, drug stores
sold liquor on prescription from physicians for alleged medicinal purposes.
These drug stores did a thriving business; without the liquor revenue, they
could not exist.
Although one drug store, Kraum, later Kraum & Son, did not sell
liquor or permit it on premises. Kraum was established in 1892 and
was still in business in 1961.
Question 6: There was a time that it seemed as though there was one of
these on every corner in
why they are greatly reduced in number?
Answer: Gasoline and Oil Service Stations as they are listed the Polk's
Emporia City Directory in 1946 (65 years ago) had 32 listings. In the
1961 Polk directory, under Gasoline Stations, there are 43 (50 years ago)
listings. With the "Service" dropped from the heading, but many of the
businesses listed still had service in their name. By 1995 (16 years ago)
under Gasoline Stations, there are only 12 listings, with the word
"Service" dropped from most of the business names.
Self-Service might be the blame for fewer Gasoline Stations. Or
increased number of pumps at one location.
Do you remember the last "Full Service Station"?
Question 5: Today there
are only two lumber yards in
after WWII there were as many as five lumber yards. Some of these
were still in business in the 1960's*. Can you name at least one of these
lumber yards and its location?
*Burgner-Bowman-Matthews Lumber Co,
*Home Lumber & Supply Co,
*The Kansas Lumber Co,
*McKee-Fleming Lumber Co,
Corner 5th and Congress, 215 W 5th Av
(the only one with buildings still standing)
Smith Lumber Co
Local Creameries and Dairies were common in this area.
Name one of the Creameries or Diaries and share a your favorite memory of that establishment.
Emporia Creamery Co, later changed to Beatrice Foods Co,
Hoch Dairy, Rd 2
Meadow Brook Creamery, 22 Commercial
Victory Cremery Co, Later Victory Foods Inc, 22-24 E 7th
Fifty years ago
A Dispensary is a charitable facility where medicines are
furnished and medical advice is available .
Hospital, known as
Hospital, known as
part and The Hillcrest (high rise apartment building) in the old part.
Reminiscing back to the years between
1946 to 1964 what businesses were in the 400 Block of Commercial on the
east side of the street, where the new
402 Court House
410 Polk-A-Dot Café, Dabbs Bros Hotel (1946)
410 Siesta Hotel and Cafeteria(1964)
412 William Cook Acct., Farrow Real Est., Moon Abstract Co (1964)
412 1/2 Good Eats Café (1946)
412 1/2 ---- (1964)
414 Roberts Leather Goods (1946)
414 Roberts Leather Goods (1964)
416 Polly Ann Grill (1946)
416 Roberts Leather Goods (1964)
418 National Home & Auto Store (1946)
418 GAC Finance Corp (1964)
420 Bratton Home & Auto Supply (1946)
420 Bratton Home & Auto Supply (1964)
422 Lee's Barber Shop (1946)
422 Sportsman's Barber Shop (1964)
424 Farmers Supply (1946)
424 Murphy Finance Co (1964)
Foundation for Infantile Paralysis Inc. (1946)
424 1/2 Alcoholics Anonymous (1964)
426 - 428 Harry A Ropfogel Clothing (1946)
426 - 428 Harry A Ropfogel, Inc Clothing (1964)
426 1/2 - 428 1/2 Above Ropfogel's. In 1946 the second floor was occupied by
small businesses and apartments. Including the
Control Office) and
By 1964 the second floor was mostly vacant with a only a few occupied
apartments. The third floor was vacant.
Gone are the days of neighborhood grocers and meat
markets. At one time
three and share your favorite memory from at least one.
Bales Super Market & Café 325 Commercial
David W Barb
Benders Food Market
W H Brooks and Sons
Cannon's Market 505 S Commercial &
Chet's Food Market
Albert T Grant
Hanna and Keefer Market
Hoffmans Food Market
Houser Suburban Grocery
Kent Food Market
Mrs Sarah M. Miller 1028 Exchange St
Mossman's Food Market
Don L Moyes
Lino Ramirez 12 S Arundel St
Rayls Food Market
Reeble's 124 and
Rose's Neighborhood Grocery
Lester T Tate
12 Avenue Grocery 302 E 12th Av
Wisler and Hendrickson
Mrs. Lillian Young
LCHS Members enjoy a 10% Discount year round. For more information call 620-340-6310