This ESU department has one of the oldest and longest
running programs in the State of Kansas. Name the department and the
(Oldest) The Department of Communication and Theatre, a
unit of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
(Longest continuous running) The program, Summer Theatre.
_ 1913 the department was known as the Department of Public
Speaking and Expression, the head of this academic program was
Professor Franklin L Gilson. He organized the Gilson Players in
_ 1926 the department was reorganized and named Department of
_ 1955 the department inaugurated the first Summer Theatre
program in Kansas.
The information in this question and answer comes from the ESU
Theatre Handbook, which can be found online.
Welch Stadium on ESU campus, when did it open and who
is it named in honor of?
Armistice Day, November 11, 1937.
Dedicated in 1960 to honor Francis George Welch, long-time coach and
athletic director. Welch lead the Hornet football program from 1928 to
42 and again from 1946 to 54, winning 115 games, making Welch the
longest winning coach in ESU football history.
What is the name of the Lake on the ESU?
Wooster. "Lake Wooster began as a picturesque ravine. Dr.
Wooster used to admire this ravine an dream of it as a place where he
could carry on water research. He and his students used to bring in
stones and plants from field trips and arrange them along the stream.
Eventually a dirt dam was constructed and a lake appeared."
From The Bulletin, January 20, 1962
Named for Lyman Child Wooster. Wooster supervised the Kansas
educational exhibit for the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893. Wooster
became professor of biology in 1897, later professor of geology at KSN.
He lived in Emporia until his death at the age of 97, in 1947.
Are there any buildings still standing from original Kansas
State Normal School (ESU) campus? What is the oldest building on
No, the first two campus buildings burned to the ground
October 26, 1878. Plumb Hall, erected 1916.
The early days for Kansas State Normal School (ESU) were not
always easy, which of the following mishaps and/or disasters threatened to close
B. Appropriations for teachers training shut off by the legislature
C. Entire faculty dismissed with the exception of the President
D. A big land sale swindle and embezzlement
E. Tornado and torrential downpour
F. Drop in enrollment
All of the above.
A. 1874 Grasshoppers, the effect on the area, forced salaries down by as
much as eighteen percent.
B. March 1876, the legislature shut off all appropriations for teacher train in
Kansas. Which resulted in two other Normal Schools to cease being State
C. June 1876, the entire faculty was dismissed except for President
D. 1877, Plans were made to sell the school's endowment lands, but an agent
with EP Bancroft had sold portions of the land, collecting payment for his
own use. Funds totaling $6000.
E. April 13, 1878 a tornado tore off two-thirds of the roof from the main
building and half the roof from the smaller building. Then the torrential
downpour that followed dumped ed water from roof to basement.
F. 1878, enrollment dropped to 90 Students
G. Saturday October 26, 1878, Kansas State Norma School (both buildings)
burned to the ground.
How many different names has Emporia State University had and
what years did these changes occur?
Kansas Normal School 1863 to 1923
Kansas State Teachers College (KSTC): 1923 to 1974
Emporia Kansas State College (EKSC): 1974 to 1977
Emporia State University (ESU): 1977 to present
The 20 - acre track of land secured for the Kansas Normal School
was part of an Indian Reserve, which tribe was it reserved for?
The Wyandotte Indian Reserve, commonly know as Floats, this
particular reserve was number 25. It was one mile square which would be from 6th
Avenue to 18th Avenue and from East Street to West Street. The Wyandotte
Indians did not live on the land it was simply reserved for them.
In 1863 the land was owned by Giles E Filley of St. Louis, manufacturer of
the Charter Oak cookstoves. Mr. Filley gifted the land to the State of Kansas for
the Normal School.
Information on the Wyandotte Reserve was provided by Land Surveyor
Steve Brosemer of GeoTech, Inc.
Emporia State University was first called Kansas Normal School.
When was the school established? Where were the first classes held?
In Old Stone, on the second floor, at 7th and Constitution.
The following is a quote from the book "History of Emporia and Lyon
County, Kansas" by Laura M. French:
Tuesday Night at the Museum. Please join us October 09, 2011,
7 P, ."Howe- lo- ween", at the Richard Howe House, 315 E Logan Ave,
come sit around the fire and tell historically scary stories, bring
flashlight, lawn chair and blanket.
"C. V. Eskridge, a representative in the Legislature of 1863,
introduced a bill in the House providing for the establishment of a
State Normal School in Emporia. The bill was presented in the
Senate by Perry B Maxson, and it became a law March 3, 1863. A
commission to select a site was appointed by Governor Carney, and a
20 - acre tract was secured. The school opened with eighteen
students, February 15, 1865, in the upper room of the newly erected
Emporia public school building the Old Stone. There was no
furniture, and the equipment consisted of a Bible and a dictionary.
Seats were borrowed from the Congregational Church. Lyman B
Kellogg, a young graduate of the Norma University of Illinois, was
the principal, and only teacher. From this small but significant
beginning has grown a magnificent institution, the Kansas State
Teachers College of Emporia. The first class to complete the course,
two in number, was graduated in 1867. these graduates were Mary
Jane Watson and Ellen Plumb."